Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Setting Into My Ways

Raised in Hood River Oregon, I grew up rocking out to "Hyper Active Music" on the drive up to Cooper Spur, Meadows, Timberline, and Skibowl resorts. The weekends were always something to look forward to and when I began racing again in high school the love for the mountains were stronger than ever. After 3 years of racing in the Pacific Northwest I knew I was ready for more exploration. 

A week after my 18th birthday I found myself in Gunnison Colorado, home of Western State College in the mountains at 7,703 ft. Just 30 minutes from Crested Butte and amazing backcountry, skiing can easily become a lifestyle.

Currently, I am a junior at Western State and I have just begun to explore the surroundings I now call home. Last winter I joined the first ever college freeride ski team. We travel to competitions in Colorado, New Mexico and Utah showing promising results on the World Freeskiing Tour. With a ski racing background, falling in love with the adrenaline rush of big mountain skiing has been a natural progression for me

This change has been so worth it. I have been able to experience this area in a way I could never have imagined; on skis. 


1 comment: